Common people mostly have fickle minds; they’re always guided by what they wish to believe, often to their advantage. When they’re worried, frightened and clueless about the near future they’re most at risk of doubt and conspiracy theories. For the last six months people all over the globe are very disturbed by the COVID 19 pandemic, less because of the deadly aftereffects of the virus compared to the restrictions and lock-downs derailing normal life it has earned its wake. They desperately need certainly to go back to the sweet normal times and live happily ever after, and therefore they jump to just accept and believe fully when some motivated souls offer that’COVID 19 is a joke, it’s simply a’annual influenza ‘. Thus the’doubt virus’is established and the social media marketing as always helps it spread-at times even more quickly compared to the killer virus. Perhaps the basic impulses for skepticism stem from the important points that over 808 of Coronavirus positive cases are mild in nature and recover easily, only older people with co-morbidity are most vulnerable and that on average the death rate is low at 1 to 4% except for some countries. However, facts also reveal that the dead includes young adults too and everyone can be infected from this most contagious virus.
The conspiracy theories originated in the United States, as always, where extraordinarily’democratic’parts of the citizens opposed the lockdown and restrictions from the beginning symbolizing these with the’agenda’of President Trump. Several conspiracy theories linking even the tragic murder of George Floyd started doing the rounds in the US of which we won’t make an explanation here just to prevent vulnerable minds undergo and inculcate doubts. We’d only like to mention here that writer got a social media forward giving a connect to articles by some’enlightened soul’who took pains of great arguments to’prove’that the pandemic is really a’political hoax ‘. Once we mentioned earlier lots of vulnerable people got influenced by this, and none other than the usual medical surgeon of the Indian state of Assam who even lodged a FIR alleging that merely a’annual influenza’has been labeled as a pandemic and he wanted action from the concerned governments. This, naturally, created a sequence of reactions in their state driving news channels asking the hapless common people about their’doubts’on the COVID 19 infections rather than destroying the dilemma.
Now, this’annual influenza’theory stops working at the basic premise itself: if that is so then this phenomenon should be occurring every year, and why then in 2010 should be so different! Governments will not need to have gone on an emergency drive to generate more and more healthcare facilities including ICU beds just to tackle an annual event of flu. Then come the experiences of various affected countries and governments tackling this’annual influenza’some of which we narrate below as arguments to break such forms of fake and motivated views:
1. Let us take the exemplory case of the Chinese experiment. Ignoring lots of conspiracy theories about China itself we just ask here why would China need absolute authoritarian measures to tackle the virus (well, even annual influenza is caused by a virus) in terms of continuous lockdown and rigorous enforcement โควิด 19. After being successful to keep the infected numbers below 100,000 the country remains fearing a second outbreak, and risking its economic downswing again to prevent its spread. Its aggression against India can also be explained as part of its apparent desperation. An annual flu cannot explain these.
2. Why would countries like UK, Italy, Spain, France, USA and Brazil suffer so much from an annual influenza that killed more than half a million so far and remains on its deadly prowls? Why would Italy reduce itself to a situation of helplessness with dead bodies of Corona patients littered everywhere or why would a German finance minister commit suicide over Corona worries? How one is always to take into account a death rate of over 14% (seen in a couple of countries) for an annual influenza virus?
3. Why would the doctors and experts of the World Health Organization continue telling’lies’that the new Coronavirus is quite dangerous that will probably stay for more than couple of years and the worst is yet in the future despite whatever campaigns or actions going on or taken against it? We seemed to possess accepted in the beginning that pandemic is the biggest crisis ever faced by humankind. Now, why have second thoughts and doubts?
4. Why would countries across the planet continue taking huge risks for an economic crash with unprecedented unemployment and pave the way for a recession possibly worse compared to the Great Depression? Particularly, why a developing country and a most promising upcoming world power like India should risk whatever it has achieved in development so far.
5. Exactly why is this type of mad rush all over the globe to fast-track production of a vaccine against only an annual flu? At least this intensive medical research cannot mask a hidden agenda whatever that’ll be.
Within the last few few days new cases in India have already been rising at nearly 25000 daily with the only real solace that daily recoveries increasing steadily and the death rate is fortunately still low; the concern being truly a rising positivity rate indicating community transmission. At this crucial juncture we must not pay heed to conspiracy theories and fake news. Such theories have obvious goals: to generate publicity for unknown persons or groups or to produce a kill in terms of profit. Like, in case a link for articles with sensational and terrifying headlines gets circulated across social media marketing and motivated media outlets think of the kind of clicks being generated which directly translate into money.Read More